Spicy Chicken Mexican Casserole
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed chicken breast meat
- 2 x 15 oz cans kidney beans
- 2 x 8 oz cans sweet corn
- 1/2 salsa
- water as needed
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)
- 3 cups crushed plain tortilla chips
For the taco seasoning mix:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute chicken in olive oil until cooked through. Meanwhile mix everything needed for the taco seasoning in a small bowl. Add taco seasoning, beans, corn, salsa (I would recommend mild salsa, because the taco seasoning is pretty spicy, but if you are fan of very spicy you could put hot salsa) and a little water if needed to prevent drying out. Mix it good and cover. Let it simmer for about 10-15 min over low heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Transfer chicken mixture into a baking dish and top it with half of the shredded cheese and all the tortilla chips.
- Bake for about 15 min and add the remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Depending on how spicy you and your family like it, you could use as much or as little chili powder as you want!